Paul T. Casale, Sr.
Welch Senior Living
Paul T. Casale, Sr. has 50 years of experience in the management and financing of skilled nursing facilities (SNF) and senior living communities. He served as vice president and treasurer of Welch Healthcare & Retirement Group from 1986 through 2016. He is a member of the Board of Directors for the Massachusetts Assisted Living Association. Mr. Casale also has significant experience in leading the development of SNFs, retirement communities, assisted living communities, assisted living memory care residences, and skilled nursing facilities.
- Principal in ownership entities of the Welch Senior Living properties
- Since 1976 responsible for the financial management of the business and development activities related to new Welch facilities
- Director, Massachusetts Assisted Living Association and former director and second vice president, Massachusetts Senior Care Association
Paul T. Casale, Jr.
Executive Vice President,
Welch Senior Living
Paul T. Casale, Jr. has over 25 years of experience organizing, streamlining, and strengthening operations to maximize team performance and resident satisfaction. Successfully devised innovative systems and processes to deliver quality resident services. Focused customer service-oriented leader with outstanding strategic planning, process improvement, and problem-solving skills. Collaborates on the development and execution of marketing plans.
- As Executive Director of Allerton House at Central Park in Weymouth has delivered consistently strong performance for the 96-unit independent living, assisted living, and memory care residence
- Managed construction phase and opening of community with approximately 95% occupancy during past 16 years
- Managed the successful opening of award-winning Duxbury House Memory Care Residence at The Village at Duxbury
- Provides strategic direction and defines operational tactics to ensure alignment with corporate objectives
- Serves on Leadership Committee of Massachusetts Assisted Living Association
Vijay Popat, CPA
Chief Financial Officer,
Welch Senior Living
Vijay Popat has more than 20 years of experience in the post-acute healthcare industry, having served in many different financial capacities for senior living organizations and communities. He has been a licensed Certified Public Account in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts since 2001.
- Managed all accounting/finance functions within skilled nursing and assisted living management companies and senior living communities
- Spent more than 10 years in public accounting specializing in senior living and post-acute care
- Specialties include post-acute healthcare, accounting, third party reimbursement, financial reporting, individual and entity federal and state taxes and tax planning, finance internal controls management, state and government required healthcare cost reports for long term care facilities, HUD reporting and guidelines, and low income tax credit compliance
Thomas A. Karnes, MHA, NHA
Executive Director & Operations Consultant, Welch Senior Living, Allerton House at Harbor Park in Hingham
Thomas Karnes has 30 years of experience in the senior living industry in the managing and marketing of senior living communities, including 20 years with Welch Senior Living. He has extensive experience in the New England region, having managed 570 independent living and 190 assisted living apartments, and 182 skilled nursing beds in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Connecticut.
- Managed 6,240 apartments of senior housing in 19 states: 23 free-standing assisted living communities (2,010 apartments); 20 communities (2,800 apartments) with a combination of independent living, assisted living, and Alzheimer’s care (472 beds); seven continuing care retirement communities (1,050 apartments) offering a full continuum of care; and 450 skilled nursing beds
- Responsible for the start-up of 13 senior living communities
- Actively licensed as a Nursing Home Administrator in Massachusetts and holds inactive licenses in Delaware, Texas, Florida, and New Hampshire
- Obtained licensure and/or JCAHO accreditation for assisted living communities, skilled nursing facilities (with short term, sub-acute rehab programs), home care agencies, outpatient clinics, and a transitional program for head injury patients
Director, Human Resources, Welch Senior Living & Executive Director, Allerton House at Central Park in Weymouth
Thomas Nolan serves as the Director of Human Resources for Welch Senior Living. He has over 35 years of experience in the operation and management of skilled nursing centers and senior living communities. Mr. Nolan oversees the Centralized Human Resource Function and is responsible for Human Resource policy development and implementation, as well as employee benefits management.
- Served for 19 years as Administrator of the John Scott House Rehabilitation & Nursing Center and seven years as Director of Human Resources
- Developed and provided training to facilities to improve safety and decrease staff incidents resulting in lower numbers related to staff injuries and Worker’s Compensation premiums
- Responsible for employee benefit contract negotiations with brokers and insurance companies, resulting in lower employee benefit costs
Director, Marketing & Communications, Welch Senior Living
Valerie Sturtevant has over 15 years of experience in both internal and external communications. As Director of Marketing and Communications for Welch Senior Living, Valerie leads the organization’s joint brand efforts. Mrs. Sturtevant creates and implements strategic marketing efforts that promote Welch brand recognition and each of its individual communities, resulting in lead generation and sales. She also directs and oversees all digital and traditional marketing and communications projects, including media relations, design, content creation, and updates for websites and social media within the Welch Senior Living portfolio.
- Demonstrated track record developing strategic projects and campaigns, specializing in social media and digital advertising
- Extensive knowledge and experience with Advertising, Crisis Communications, Event Planning, Media Relations, Public Relations, Social Media and Web Development
- Developed and led integrated marketing strategies for Colleges in both New York and Boston to advance their respective brands, strategic and master plans, and support both institutions through Capital Campaigns
- Has worked in Public Relations agencies in New York City and Boston on a wide range of clientele, including Advanced Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Food, Consumer Marketing, Financial and Professional Services, Healthcare and more
Leanne B. Welch
Director, Community Relations, Welch Senior Living
Leanne Welch has over 18 years of experience in the skilled nursing industry and in senior living encompassing independent living, assisted living, and memory care. She has extensive experience in internal and external sales outreach for assisted living and memory care.
- Admissions Director for the 173-bed Colonial Rehabilitation & Nursing Center in Weymouth, directing and managing all aspects of the admission process
- Developed and maintained relationships with professional referral sources, families, and residents as they transition to skilled nursing
- For a 91-unit assisted living and memory care community implemented a sales/marketing plan designed to exceed occupancy goals
- Extensive professional senior living contacts on South Shore for the purpose of outreach and lead generation
Ellen J. Laramee, RN
Director, Clinical and Regulatory Operations & Assisted Living Clinical Consultant, Welch Senior Living
Ellen Laramee has over 30 years of clinical, management, and education experience as a Registered Nurse in acute care, physician offices, home health, and overseeing assisted living communities, including those with dedicated and integrated dementia programs.
- Oversight responsibility for resident care services in Welch Senior Living communities
- Dementia programming experience in assisted living settings
- Public speaking and writing on health-related topics
- Board of Directors for Cerebral Palsy of Massachusetts
- Senior Network Steering Committee member for South Shore Hospital
- Expert on MA Assisted Living Regulatory Compliance
- Traditional Living startup operations and management
- Supervision, training , teaching, and policy development and consultation
- Certified Dementia Practitioner
- Experience in Home Health, Board of Health, Rehabilitation, Independent, Assisted and Memory Care Senior Living
Joyce Watson-O’Neil, LICSW, MPH
Senior Social Worker & Dementia Consultant, Welch Senior Living
Joyce Watson-O’Neil has over 25 years of clinical social work experience in hospital, community mental health, certified home health agency, and assisted living settings. She is knowledgeable about JCAHO certification in hospital, certified home healthcare, and assisted living settings. Ms. Watson-O’Neil’s unique start-up and operations expertise in dementia care programs with assisted living communities has led her to teaching, supervision, and consultation roles in these areas.
- Clinical intervention, training, and teaching in dementia-specific care, mental health, and other issues pertaining to older adults
- Memory impairment program design, start-up, and management experience within an assisted living community
- Public speaking and presentation experience to Alzheimer’s organizations and professional social work conferences
- Master’s degrees, Social Work and Public Health
- Certified Trainer through Alzheimer’s Association of Eastern Massachusetts
Executive Director, The Village at Duxbury
Luke Kramer has 17 years of experience in executive and sales positions within the senior living industry. Under his leadership at The Village at Duxbury, the continuum of care community has enjoyed high resident and staff satisfaction, strong financial performance, and high occupancy. With a background in hospitality management, Mr. Kramer brings an exceptional level of customer service to the experience of senior living.
- Responsible for the development and execution of a marketing plan at The Village that has consistently delivered sales results
- Led the opening of a new Erickson Retirement Community in Hingham, considered one of the most successful launches in the company’s history
- Developed sales strategies and delivered sales results for senior living communities in Massachusetts and Michigan
- Served as Food Service Director for over 10 years for Marriott Management Services
Executive Director, Village at Proprietors Green
Tom Bell has 35 years experience in hospitality managing hotels, resorts, and restaurants. His background in hospitality leadership aligns with the perspective that a successful senior living community depends on providing both proper care and an exceptional quality of life. Feeling right at home, Mr. Bell enjoys the personal aspect of his work, building positive relationships with the staff, residents, and their families.
Merry Dalahmeh, BS, RN, LNHA
Executive Director, Duxbury House at The Village Memory Care Residence
Merry Dalahmeh brings more than 20 years of experience working in eldercare to her role as Executive Director of Duxbury House. She draws on her background as a former Executive Director and Director of Nursing Services to lead the community’s memory care team and to oversee the community’s day-to-day operations.
- Licensed nursing home administrator
- Provides support for all aspects of care and to all departments, ensuring residents experience a safe, secure, and enriching environment and that all of their care needs are met.